Sunday 8 January 2012

A Glossary Of Technical Terms: Camera Angles

Glossary of technical terms

Camera angles:

Here are some examples of camera shots and angles.




Very wide angle shot: This shot is a distance shot and very often used to establish a scene or atmosphere.
I will use this to open one of my scenes.





Mid shot: This shows some detail of the character, but also gives the impression of the whole character.
I will use this to focus in on the main character's at the opening of the film.









Close up: This is where the main character or subject takes up the entire frame.
I will use this to help the audience identify with the main character and her feelings.







Camera Angles:
High angled Shot, this makes the person look vulnerable or small.
I may not use this as i do not want to create this emotion.


Low Angle Shot, gives the feeling power from the person...
I will use a variation on this shot in my film, not to show power but so show respect for the character's feelings.






Editing:

Continuity Editing is editing most commonly used in films, a series of shots which gives a sense of time chronologically.
I will use this in my film to build the story.

Cross-cut - this is where shots from two or more scenes are inter cut with each other so the the viewer's attention is grabbed by seeing fragments of each scene alternately.
I will use this in my film to grab the viwers' attention in a way that will make them think more deeply about the character.

Jump cut - This is where a cut is made that breaks the continuity of time by jumping forward in time from one part of an action to another. This is often used to build suspense as the viewer want to know what is happening, and looks for explanations in the coming storyline.
I will use this as an opening scene in my film as the character is reflecting on what has happened in the past, and the viewer will be curious to find out why the main character is behaving in this way.

Montage - This is where a number of seemingly unrelated shots or scenes are shown in quick succession which when combined, give meaning to the viewer.
I will use this in my film as a series of static shots to establish an emotional response in the audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment